Sunday, August 18, 2013

Why a blog?

I spent the first night with mom in the hospital last night. She woke me up several times asking to take her glasses off (they weren't on) and asking me to help her out of bed. It was hard to see her so confused and my emotions ran high. I didn't have anyone to talk to about what was going on, because the person I talk to about this stuff is laying in the hospital bed. But I want to remember this time and want to share it with my mom at a later time. I share everything with her and I know as this journey progresses I will leave something out. She will want to know what was happening these first few weeks and I am going to be sure to have it all documented. I don't know how long it will be before she is up for discussing all of this, but I want to be sure I am ready when she is.  They said the first 24 hours are crucial and we aren't certain when the stroke actually happened yesterday but she missed her 10:00 nail appointment and because I know my mom would have been up at 8:00 am and getting ready for that appointment, I am deducing that it probably happened almost exactly 24 hours ago. 24 hours later, my mom is alive, she is talking to me (slurred, but talking), she is able to move her right side of her body and tell me what is, in her words "annoying" her.  I have a goal, that on August 17, 2014, my mom will be as close to normal as possible. She will be bantering with Josh about who is right, she will be sewing the clothes she had bought the fabric for the night before her stroke and she will make it to her nail appointment. We have a long, hard road ahead of us, but we have survived worse and together, Mimi & Me, we will conquer this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment